Monday, November 19, 2007

So on my way to this internet cafe, I had to turn back because it was raining too hard and I wasn't wearing correct rain gear. I feared that I was turning Spanish, or, por lo menos, into a fair-weather person [gaspthehorror]. However, turns out that I had just forgotten that during torrential downpours it is necessary to wear a raincoat. Thus, kith and kin in Washington, fear not. Today was the first day of real, actual, Northwest rain since I arrived. Today is a truly drizzly depressing dark dreary day (fun with alliteration that I am not skilled enough to do in Spanish). It's surreal. Anyway.

The weather has turned colder. My apartment is so so cold; there is no central heating and we can't use more than one portable heater at a time (or anything but the lowest setting) or it overloads the electrical system or whatever. How educated. There's probably a better way to say this but I don't know how. Jennifer, from Florida, has moved into the piso. It's nice to have someone who can help me try to figure out Spain (ie electricity situation). I've resorted to longjohns already. I'm just hoping that it won't be as bad as last year. But it doesn't seem possible that anything could be as bad as that.

The bank still hasn't allowed the money to go through. I don't have to go to Cáceres to have a document signed, but I have to wait for the bureaucracy at the bank to figure the problem out. It seems like I have all the correct papers and the bank is the one with the problem. Several people are trying to straighten it out for me (crying on Thursday afternoon made them feel sorry for me?) so it should be fixed soon. It's still just so ridiculous, but more funny now.

So I hadn't judged Torrejoncillo too harshly before. If anything, not harshly enough. I went to two classes with the same teacher. Horrible. The first one I spent the entire class standing in front of the class while the children all yelled at each other in Spanish and the teacher yelled at them in Spanish too. She told me that they were always like this, impossible to teach, that there was no point in trying. I couldn't believe it! She would sternly tell them to be quiet, then look deploringly, then sign and yell some more. There's no point for me to go to classes like this. If the teacher can't control them, what can I hope to accomplish?

1 comment:

Sydney said...

I can´t believe your terrible class and teacher (well, actually I kind of can) but, maybe you should just not go to that class anymore. I know it sucks but at least you don´t have to worry about it. You don´t have to plan anything either.