Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Buscando otro piso

So we are looking for another piso, and we have to find one before the end of the month. It's a pain, and everything takes so long here. We decided that since the current landlord didn't seem to care that we couldn't heat the house, and the weather is just going to get colder, we had to leave. I feel bad (of course) but there doesn't seem to be any other way. Even if the landlord were to fix the situation, who knows how long it would take? I've been sleeping in my new sleeping bag, so I'm finally warm at night. Ridiculous.

Next week we have a puente, so Sydney and I are going to Madrid. I can't wait to get out of Extremadura. I've been here too long without leaving. I feel suffocated. I've realized that the hardest part for me to adapt to is the lack of nature here. I can deal with pushy people. I can deal with paper-thin walls. I can deal with the heat/electricity situation (but not for much longer, ojalá!). But I just can't adapt to the concrete. Everything is concrete. There are no trees, grass, beauty, anywhere nearby or easily accessible. You can always hear cars and people yelling. I can't find serenity anywhere. I've been in so spoiled in Olympia and Bellingham, I realize now. I found a park here, which is better than nothing. With huge ducks. Everyone keeps telling me about the beautiful mountains ("mountains") nearby but I can't get there easily. I've been dreaming about mountains (real ones) lately. Even in Segovia there was a nice wooded area below the city, away from roads. Nothing like that here. I can't wait to leave for a few days. And only two weeks after that is the vacation de las Navidades. We're going to Lisboa, then to Italy. I can't wait for this either!

No comments: