Friday, November 16, 2007

Frustration

I guess I will start by enumerating my frustration with Spanish bureaucracy. First, they still have not paid me. Well, they have finally paid me, but the bank will not put it into my account because I have to have proof that I am here legally. Of course, my id card will not be ready for another month, probably, (even though I requested it a month ago) or at least two weeks. My número de identificación extranjero is not enough, even though I had been told it would be for the bank. And it was, to open an account. Just not to have money in it, I guess. Thus, I must go to Cáceres, to the national police, to have them sign a paper saying I'm here legally. However, the bank did not tell me I would need to do this until yesterday, when I went to see why they hadn't put the money in my account. I was irate. So I have to wait until Monday because the police aren't open in the afternoon (claro).

Anyway.. On a better note, I have been giving private conversation classes to three boys, 8, 11, and 13. And they have paid me. These children are really sweet and so much better than the classes at school. I actually enjoy the classes with them (yes, I am enjoying children).

So I've lived alone for a month now, loved it, but now I will be sharing my piso with another American lectora. Jennifer will be teaching in Moraleja, a small(er) town near Coria. She's moving in tomorrow, I believe, and I'm excited. I have been spending a lot of time with the other profesores at school and I enjoy it. But it's also tiring. I only hope that we can try to speak Spanish together and not fall back into English... it's so tempting.

Right now I'm in Torrejoncillo, waiting for classes to start. First, the name of the town is impossible to say; second, I dislike coming here. The children are rude and badly behaved. I am also with some lower level classes that really don't understand ANYTHING. Nor do they care. This is only my second time and I'm probably judging too harshly (but I doubt it).

I spent the weekend in Badajoz with Sydney. It was amazing to be in a real house, with decoration on the walls, a fully stocked kitchen with utensils, heat... Syd made me a spectacular homemade, nutritious, delicious, vegetarian dinner with eggplant. And a cake. Wonderful.

No comments: