Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Last leg of the journey

My first thought when I arrived in Coria last night: Oh great, I'm back where everyone stares at me because I'm a foreigner. But then I realized I was going to sleep in my own bed with no one else in the room, rustling bags at 3am. This vacation was awesome, amazing, insert more cliche adjectives describing enjoyment, if you will. And the perfect way to end it: after waking up incredibly early, riding a 40 minute train to the Rome airport, flying, landing in Madrid, making my way to the bus station, buying a ticket, spending the afternoon in Madrid, spending two more hours in the bus station, I missed my bus. It doesn't matter how, it was my fault and I'm just an idiot. So I had to buy another ticket, find a hostel, and kill another day in Madrid. The day before I had met Josefina, a woman from Mexico, who bought me a café and a roscón (typical Reyes Magos pastry). Super nice. Yesterday, after I left the Museo Nacional de Reina Sofia, this middle aged man tried to... well, I'm not quite sure what. He started talking to me, realized I was foreign, asked me where I was, started critiquing the political status of the United States (wait, Obama and Huckabee, where did that come from??), and invited me to coffee. I told him I had to catch a bus, explained the situation from the previous day, and he continued to ask me if I had to go, if I would be back here next Saturday. He told me I had a beautiful nose (la nariz de una mujer inteligente--I didn't know how to take this, especially because, as you all know, my nose is not "beautiful"). He kept insisting that the next time I came to Madrid we should have coffee. Then he told me he could drive to Coria since he had a car. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I passed up my only chance at a Spanish sugar daddy... He gave me the traditional Spanish kiss on each cheek as a farewell. What a creepy man. I do have to wonder if he has had success with this approach before, though, because he's old enough to know better if it doesn't work. Anyway, more about the vacation later.

No comments: