Monday, December 17, 2007

Jálama

Yesterday I went on a hike. A Hike. We climbed the highest peak in the province (1492 km), Jálama. It was, hmmm, phenomenal. Stupendous. I went with a hiking club, and they do this same route every year, and bring a nativity scene in a boot to the top. Yeah, I know. It was incredibly beautiful and incredibly cold at the top. I could have been in Washington, except for the turrón (typical Spanish dulce at Christmas time), the wine in skins being passed around, and the bocadillos filled with jamón ibérico at the top. I have a new respect for the people on the hike. These people have an intensity for hiking that I haven't seen since I left Bellingham. (How I miss Bellingham!!) And they did it like it was nothing (comparatively, as I am quite out of shape). Anyway, it was amazing. So, I guess there is beauty nearby, you just need a car or a chartered bus to get there. However, I have never hiked with people who smoke on the ascent (is that possible), descent, short rests, etc.

No comments: