Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And/or lack of excitement

I recently had an attack of what I call wanderlust but really may be more symptomatic of a larger, more complex clusterfuck of problems: dissatisfaction with the direction of my life [or lack thereof], fear of the unknown, feelings of stagnation, the intense negative emotions inspired by my current employment situation, general boredom and/or lack of excitement. It's very similar to the set of circumstances that sent me to Central America this past winter. I suppose, second time around, I'm better equipped to deal with this. [Practice makes perfect?] That is to say, I'm not going to rush off on some amazing adventure anywhere in the near future (lack of funds, shall we say), but nor do I necessarily believe that it would be the best course of action. Hmmm.. Running from my situation or working to improve it? (But, traveling is great!) My first inclination was to leave. Quit my job. Move somewhere else. Cut off all ties to my life in Seattle and get the fuckoutofhere. Besides the monetary aspect of the situation, this is not a sustainable way to live my life. The same problems and dissatisfaction will crop up anywhere after a certain point. I can't keep leaving once I hit a certain threshold. As always, a large part is the constant confusion about the future. What do I want to do? What would make me happy? How do I attain that? The fears of a possible discouraging failure in the near future regarding a certain standardized test and the application process.

Rather than booking a one-way ticket to Mexico (Swine Flu!) and scrambling for a travel partner as foolhardy as myself (thanks, Emily), I've been consulting my most trusted personal advisers in an attempt at a working solution. I may be lost but at least I'm not alone. Focus on the things I enjoy and find humor/irony in the things I don't. Thanks to those for their help.

No comments: