Saturday, June 20, 2009

Belly dancers in blue and striped men on stilts

I went to the Fremont Street Fair/Solstice Parade/Festival today. I've never been before, as I've never lived here in the spring. I'm beginning to love this city. It seems uptight, a little prudish, for how "liberal" it is. But... It's totally acceptable for people to walk and bike around clothed only in body paint at the Solstice Parade. I had heard tell, I missed naked biker parade at the beginning, but I saw many-a painted penis and breast walking/biking around later. I got to Fremont (25 minute walk from my house) later than desired so I had to push through crowds of people to meet up with friends. Friends who had staked out an amazing spot for the parade! It reminded me a bit of the Procession of the Species in Olympia but this was comprised of groups and more organized. The floats were incredible. The costumes were beautiful, erotic, nightmarish, astoundingly creative. The music, eclectic and generally very good. Everyone around me seemed so happy, enjoying everything. Fair food, mmmmmm. I had a blackened salmon burger and a scone. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Just about everyone I talked to today was there. I haven't seen that many people in Seattle before, more crowded than Bumbershoot or other street fairs. The whole experience was surreal: I'm not sure if it really happened. There's a lot to process. It was great. I'm liking Seattle more and more all the time.

No comments: