Monday, October 22, 2007

Por fin para empezar

After a week in Coria, I finally have all my paperwork finished. I had to go to Cáceres, the capital of the province, about an hour away. Pedro, one of the ninety something teachers at the Instituto, helped me with everything there. We had a limited amount of time, since the police station closes at 2 in the afternoon and doesn't reopen until the next day. Ah, España. It will take 40 days to get my tarjeta de identificación, but now I can open an bank account. However, Ángela told me that it will probably take about 2 months until they pay me. How efficient. I start classes tomorrow. It is a high school, so the children are older and hopefully better. After a month and a half, I will finally have a schedule! I feel like a nerd, but I can't wait. One day a week I go to a school in Torrejoncillo, a small town nearby. Three I will spend in Coria, with one día libre. And the weekend. The school day is from 8 - 2, and one afternoon a week, after the siesta, I will teach two conversation classes for extra money, 30 euros per hour. How could I not?

Some wonderful things about my apartment:
-I can hear the neighbors arguing through the wall, and depending on the volume, the exact words they say. These neighbors include a man who shouts, a woman who sings loudly, a crying baby (various hours of the day and night) and an incredibly whiny young boy.
-The tv is in black and white.
-There is barely enough hot water for a short shower.
-If I use the oven, I can't use other appliances (or lights, apparently) or it will overload the circuit. I need to figure this one out better.
-I only have one knife, and it is equivalent to a steak knife.

A quién se importa, my address is:
Amy Tooley
Avda. Virgen de Argeme, Nº 66 - Pº 2
Coria 10800, Cáceres, España

My cell phone number is:
647140635, and you have to dial 01134 before the number.

My Spanish is improving, and I'm finding it hard to think in English; I have the compulsion to add phrases in Spanish. I hope to hear from everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amy, I'm glad you are sharpening your Spanish skills by listening to the voices in the walls. I suspect you will learn some regional enunciation not otherwise heard by the passing gringo.

Anonymous said...

Hola Amy-

Encontro dos "Corias" en espania. "Donde esta Ud...?Coria del rio? ?Guijo de Coria? ?estan lo mismo?

Estudio la lingua por tres mes solamente ahora -- amigos diceme que hablo roto espanol perfecto. Porque espiro visita a La Costa del Sol en febrero proxima trato estudiar una hora el dia. Quinen sabe si le trabica.

ran3114@yahoo.com