Sunday, October 14, 2007

Coria

Months of anticipation. I am in Coria. First impression: cities are few and far between in the distance between Coria and Madrid (four hour bus ride). The landscape is fairly dry and barren, at least when compared to western Washington. I have yet to see much of the city, but it does not seem like there is much to see. Ángela, an English teacher at the Instituto, picked me up from the bus station last night. She told me the city is not very beautiful, but it is fine, adding that she is not from here. She fed me dinner at her house, just up the street from my apartment. It definitely was a Spanish dinner, with the mom serving everyone and telling them to eat more ("¡No has comido nada!"). I like her husband, Emilio, also a teacher at the Instituto. I ate jamón (not to be confused with ham) for the first time in 13 years, as I have decided to try everything I am offered. Edible, not as bad as previously thought.

So, yes, I have my own apartment, fully furnished, with two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, and a separate living room. It is right across the street from the Instituto. I was dubious, but now I am excited to have my own space. Now, about the cooking... As of yet, I still have no idea about my work schedule because I will be at a different school for half the time. This seems to be the way. I have the opportunity to give additional conversation classes through the school for a little extra money. It is sunny and comparatively warm here. It does not rain much here, I have been told. My Spanish is incredibly rusty, embarassing.

No comments: