Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Everything is bigger in Texas

My new year's resolution is to write in this blog more consistently.  Just kidding.  Because, really, new year's resolutions?  Hah!  Anyway, my second semester of graduate school starts tomorrow.  I will be taking five classes (like last semester), which is ridiculous but ensures that I will graduate in December 2011.  I'm dreading classes just a little but I figure it will be more manageable than last term.  I only have one core course, as opposed to four, which should lighten the load and make it more engaging.  Plus, I survived my first semester of graduate school, which means that I will never have another first semester of graduate school again!  (That's probably the best part.)  Jamie keeps reminding me that graduate school is supposed to be fun.  Hmmmmm.

Jamie and I just got back from 9 days in Lubbock, Texas.  Yes, I hadn't heard of it either before I met Jamie.  Nor had I ever been to Texas.  The weather was beautiful--a wonderful break from the sub-freezing temperatures in Pixburgh before we left.  It was nice to leave  so that I could relax away from the things here that stress me out.  The first day we were there I was walking around in a t-shirt.  It was a welcome change.  In addition to family time, we explored Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo and navigated sprawl in a huge SUV of sorts, counting Hummers and eating Tex-Mex.  I tried not to stare at everything supersized, Texas-sized.  Especially the hair.  Boy howdy!!  I have to say, acclimating to Pittsburgh helped me in Texas.  Like a nice cultural pit stop between Seattle and Texas or something (pun intended).

Happy holidays!  Yeee-haw!

1 comment:

Britt said...

Amy

Happy Holidays and New Year! I'm glad you're writing again. I think about you and wonder how it's going over in Pittsburgh.

All the best,
Britt