Friday, January 1, 2010

This is the New Year

Last year, I was flying to Costa Rica.  Now, I'm sitting home on this wet and windy January day--definitely Seattle.  I didn't go big last night to celebrate the new decade.  I mostly slept on a couch and tried to ingest any kind of food that didn't make me nauseous.  At work today I had the same inane, repetitive conversation about the new year, New Year's Eve, blah blah blah.

"So how is the new year treating you?"
"I dunno, feels pretty much like last year."
"Yeah, but without the snow and ice!"
"Yeah."  Just so I didn't have to explain that I meant last year as in yesterday as in who cares because it's just another day?

Maybe I'm just bitter because I was working and this dolt wasn't.  I wish I were heading somewhere exotic.  There's a possible trip to Mexico in the works.  The application process appears more positive (if only I could motivate on my end now!).  I haven't really had a chance to reflect on the year past but I've gotten much further toward future goals.  This year could be the year that I start graduate school.  I feel unmotivated and uninspired but that's probably the mild flu talking.  As with every year, 2010 promises adventure.  I'm building up to being ready.

No comments: