Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quarter Century

My birthday is tomorrow.  I'm not sure that I had some life goal or plan before twenty-five but if I did, I'm sure I've not achieved it.  Life check.  This year, it will not be the past-year examination but rather a life check about how far I've come and where I'm going.  Where I'll be at twenty-six.

I still work a job where I am micromanaged in nearly every aspect.  I still have a job where I serve people, defer to them, wash their dishes and clean the bathroom.  I earn slightly more than minimum wage.  I spend forty hours each week in customer service.  For those who have done this, you know.  For those who haven't, please be extremely nice to the person behind the counter and as helpful as possible.  Tip well.

I digress.  This can't continue.  I'm beginning to apply to graduate school--a huge step.  It's difficult, the most challenging task I've undertaken recently.  Still working on that personal statement, but it's hard to muster the motivation after an early shift on my feet, having played barista and smiled for eight hours.  I'll get there, I'm getting there.  In a year, I hope to be attending an LIS program.  Certainly, I know I'll get there.  And if I don't, there is absolutely no way I can continue the way I am now.

Twenty-five seems like a good age.  I hope it is.

No comments: