Thursday, April 23, 2009

Seattle! The big city (revisited)

I've been home for over two weeks now. I have my old job again, a place to live, a bed. The foundation for a home. I've been homeless since I left Bellingham, over a year and a half ago. Since then I have had the internal struggle between absolute freedom to do as I please (move, leave) whenever I please and the desire for a home, a place to belong, a life, a routine. This whole situation is what sent me to Central America in the first place. Now, so many people ask me what my next travel plans are. I tell them not to encourage me. It's a plausible life, something that I know: work travel work travel. I graduated nearly two years ago. What do I have to show for it? I'm a barista, like when I graduated. But I've also spent over half of the time in different countries. Learning, living, loving, leaving.

I've been told by a friend that my travel blog posts are good but my "home" blog posts are much better. The original goal of the blog (oh-so-many months ago now) was to let kith and kin know what was happening in my travels in Spain so I wouldn't have to mass e-mail. Maybe make them work a little for an update. When I mention some major instance from my travels and my audience doesn't know to what I am referring, I generally respond, "Didn't you read my blog?!" It's a bad assumption to make, as most don't read the blog and many whom I don't see often do (i.e., friends of the parents). To know that anyone reads it is utterly flattering. I do appreciate any and all comments that come my way.

I know that making Seattle my home will take time. Patience. I felt alienated in Bellingham when I first moved there at the beginning of college but after 4 years I didn't want to leave. I just moved to Ballard, which seems like a city-within-a-city (I'm all about things-within-things that may or may not be microcosms) so I'm hoping I can make it my own Bellingham. I want a home. I think I have satiated that wanderlust for the time being and want to feel comfortable somewhere. I want somewhere to call home. I want a reason to stay.

As usual, this entry is simply a jumble of random thoughts that probably shouldn't be read by anyone. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep the random coming!