Tuesday, May 13, 2008

WOMAD

Womad is an international music festival that came to Cáceres this past weekend. Jenny and I went on Friday and it was absolutely amazing!! We bussed to Cáceres, hoping to find a place to stay for the night but resolved to stay up all night and sleep in the bus station before our 2pm bus on Saturday. Miraculously, we found a hostal (after many-a try). There were three stages set up, one in the Plaza Mayor and two others in smaller plazas. And shit. There were so many people. And so many hippies! It reminded me of home so much, the excellent atmosphere. But even better in some ways: you can botellón. Rather, you can drink in public from huge 1.5 L beers. Everyone and their mother was doing it, right next to small children and old people. It was great. So, when in Cáceres... Jenny and I bought some huge bottles of beer and I ate some tasty green Thai curry--something I have not had since I left the US. Which is a really long time ago, when I stop and think about it. We saw a Japanese band, Turkish, Spanish, and Moroccan reggae. It was so fun! And then it made me angry because I didn't live in Cáceres, but rather some dinky pueblo nearby. Alas! My time is nearing an end! I only have 2 1/2 more weeks here until Syd and I are off to Eastern Europe! I can't believe it! I need out of this town, NOW. If anyone has any suggestions about Hungary, Croatia, or Bosnia, I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOMAD, cool! WOMAD has not been to the USA for at least 6-8 years, but it still comes to the backwater Extremadura